Administration and Finance
Information Technology Services
Nish Malik / Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Information Technology Services / (415) 405-4105 / email@example.com
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
This Policy governs conduct of online directories and provides guidance on usage of the same.
Purpose & Scope
SF State University promotes communication among all members of the University community and the public that it serves. To enhance communication, the University is committed to maintaining an online directory that contains current contact information of all current SF State faculty and staff.
A balance has been struck between making it easy for people to update and get contact information such as phone number or e-mail, and protecting individuals from unwanted invasions of privacy using that information. The availability of online directories is intended to facilitate ease of communication among members of the campus community.
Policy & Appropriate Use
SF State University has adopted the following policies to govern conduct of online directories.
- Information available through online directories may be used for legitimate University-related purposes only. To protect the privacy of the individuals listed herein, in accordance with State of California law; online directories may not be used, rented, distributed or sold for commercial purposes. Further, any use of the information in online directories must comply with SF State Employee Email Policy and SF State's Responsible Use Policy.
- All users are expected to use SF State University's online directories in a legal and responsible manner. All users of online directories must use reasonable care, as outlined in the University’s Information Security Program, to protect University Confidential Data as defined in the Confidential Data Policy.
Updating Directory Information
- To ensure the accuracy of all information, SF State Faculty and Staff can update the following fields in online directories: first name, middle name, and suffix and/or terminal degree. Please see SF State Communications Directory Guide to learn how to update contact information.
- The email address displayed in online directories is the employee’s official SF State email address. Please see SF State Employee Email Policy for details on obtaining an SF State email account.
- SF State Faculty and Staff are responsible for ensuring their individual information is accurate.
- Active employees and associated position information including title, department and/or area will be included in online directories as reflected in the Human Resources Management System. The online directory synchronizes on nightly basis.
Responsibility for implementing this Policy will rest with Information Technology Services (ITS) and Information Technology (IT) departments across campus. Submit any apparent violation of Online Directories Policy to the appropriate administrative authority (vice president, dean, director, department, or program chair) or to firstname.lastname@example.org.